1. W: Hey, Dick. You’re wearing a black jacket but yellow trousers. It’s the strangest combination I’ve ever seen.
M: I know. I got up late and dressed in a hurry. I didn’t realize my mistake until I entered the office.
Q: What does the woman think of the way Dick is dressed?
2. M: Excuse me, but has anyone turned in a brown leather wallet. I’ve lost my wallet. It contains my driver’s license and also some family pictures. It’s pretty important to me.
W: Oh, yes. We had a wallet brought in this morning. Wait here just a minute please.
Q: What will the woman probably do?
3. M: Excuse me, madam. Is the air-conditioning on? This room is getting as hot as furnace.
W: Sorry, sir. A new epidemic called SARS is threatening us right now. As preventive measure, we are told to let in fresh air by opening the windows and not to use air-conditioners.
Q: What does the woman mean?
4. M: You look quite different from what you used to.
W: Sure. I started exercising regularly two years ago and went from 253 pounds to a healthy 160 pounds. And that’s the only thing I didn’t give up half way.
Q: What do we know about the woman?
5. M: I wonder if you find my experience relevant to the job.
W: Yes, certainly, but if only you have sent in your application letter a week earlier.
Q: What does the woman imply?
6. W: Shouldn’t someone go pick up the clothes from the laundry? They were ready 3 hours ago.
M: Don’t look at me, mom.
Q: What does the boy mean?
7. M: Er…hi. Could you tell me where electronic products displayed? I want to see some TVs, digital video cameras, DVD players. That sort of thing.
W: Well. Several countries are displaying electronic products. China selection is very large this year. You might as well go to the east wing first to take a look at the Chinese booth.
Q: Where is the conversation most probably taking place?
8. M: Well. What do you think of the movie?
W: I don’t know why I let you talk me into going. I just don’t like violence. Next time you’d better choose a comedy.
Q: What can we infer from the conversation?
9. W: Who do you think should get the job? How about Mr. Becket?
M: Mr. Becket? I’m not sure. He is a nice fellow, of course, and easy to get along with, but I doubt his professional expertise. I want someone who can get the job done.
Q: What do we learn from the conversation about Mr. Becket?
10. M: Do you think home video players will replace movie theatres and force them out of the entertainment business?
W: Movie’s certainly faced with the grave challenge from the DVD industry, that’s why I think we have to revolutionize our concept of movie showing. As I said, the movie theatre should not be a place to watch films, but a place to meet people.
Q: What does the woman think of the movie theatre?
S8 approach competition with a positive mental attitude to enable them to achieve their personal best
S9 instruct young students in how to exercise, play sport, and do other recreational activities correctly and safely
S10 but must be able to show students the basic techniques involved in a wide range of activities
DACBA DABDC BBADC ADABC DBABA BABDD
DABAB DCADC BBAAD CBAAC
Rising Divorce Rates in China
There is a general discussion today about the issue of the divorce rate. As can be seen from the chart, great changes have been taking place. Obviously, China has experienced a dramatic increase in the divorce rate in the previous thirty years.
Some reasons are responsible for this. To begin with, legal changes have simplified divorce procedures, and removed barriers to divorce. In addition, the changes in personal economic activities also facilitate the divorce. Both of the couple can live on their own instead of depending on their partners. In other words, they can make the decision easily, when they would like to break up the marriage. Finally, a significant change can be found in social attitude towards the divorced persons. The discrimination to those divorced people has almost been wiped out.
Generally speaking, it is high time that we place great emphasis on this issue. That is to say, further attention is to be paid to this issue. Obviously, it is necessary that effective actions should be taken to prevent this trend.