1. China needs to reexamine the results of political and social modernization in order to ascertain the benefits and indeed the detrimental aspects from a new perspective . Otherwise , various perceived accomplishments might in fact prove to be far from beneficial .
2. It is essential to heed warnings of potentially catastrophic consequences associated with the Year 2000 computer bug and , in turn , to attach top priority to finding effective solutions to ensure a smooth transition into the new century .
3. It is high time we put an end to the deplorable practice of infanticide.
4. There is little doubt that immediate action is required to eliminate the scourge of corruption once and forever .
5. In short , we must work diligently to make the world a better place for coming generations . We must not persist in pursuits harmful to the environment .
6. We must avoid overindulgence and conspicuous consumption . We must instead continue to recognize the benefits of thrift in order to protect our newfound prosperity .