Topic : Many employees may work at home with modern technology. Some people claim that it benefits only workers, but not employers. Do you agree or disagree?
• 增加工作的灵活性(introduce flexibility),方便雇用临时工(occasional workers)和兼职工(part-time workers)
• 减少上下班时间(reduce interruptions and commuting time),从而减少给社会交通带来的压力;
• 增加员工工作的动力(increase staff motivation),减少在办公室需要面对的各种压力(reduce stress);
• 节省办公室空间和设备(save office space and other facilities),从而减少费用支出(reduce costs)
• 不利管理员工(manage home workers)和监督其工作(monitor performance);
• 很难集中培训(maintain staff development),有可能导致员工技术和工作质量的下降(lead to
possible deteriorating of employees' skills and work quality);
• 很难保持团队精神(maintain team spirit),缺乏交流(lack communication),同事之间有疏远感
(a sense of isolation among homeworkers)
The spread of telecommunication technology---using the Internet, telephone, fax, scanners or text messaging---has opened up a new range of possibilities for working at home, Discussion has centred on whether it represents a benefit to workers alone, but not employers. In my opinion, employers can take full advantage of home working as well.
By allowing employees to work at home, employers can widen the base from which they recruit and boost the chances of capitalising on rich human capital. For instance, parents with childcare responsibilities and those with disabilities prefer to work at home. Distance between their work place and their place of residence has never ceased to be a problem. Homeworking enables working people to perform their jobs at ease, and thus gives employers more options in human resource use.
Another benefit obtained from home-working is the boost for staff motivation. By working at home, employees can manage their time on their own and strike a balance between work and rest Similarly important is that, without the presence of their immediate supervisors, they feel less stressful and more comfortable. Those two factors both play a part in boosting their productivity and job satisfaction.
Apart from those benefits, homeworking might have its drawbacks. A challenge that employers have to face is the difficulty in managing and monitoring employees' performance. Whether employees are as likely to meet a deadline when working at home as they are in the workplace remains unclear. Similarly difficult is to maintain team spirit because employees have limited interaction between each other. Furthermore, stall training, an integral part of increasing human capital, is not practical in a business where homeworking predominates.
Therefore, it is clear that although employers can benefit a lot from integrating homeworking into his or her business, e.g. , introducing more flexibility and increasing employees' job satisfaction, they should work out methods to prevent the problems that are likely to arise from this move.
1. represent=stand for=signify:代表
2. capitalize on= take (full) advantage of=make the most of=benefit from:利用，得益于
3. work place=place of work:工作地点
4. at ease=comfortably=free from anxiety;轻松地
6. team spirit=cohesion=unity;团队精一命，凝聚力